NULL Skriv ut sidan - SV: Fred (Frank) Burkmans dödsdata?

Anbytarforum

Titel: SV: Fred (Frank) Burkmans dödsdata?
Skrivet av: Maud Mårtensson skrivet 2016-09-27, 16:59
Skrev till Digital Archives och redovisade alla fynd rörande F O/Fred/Frank Burkman/Berkman och frågade om det var möjligt att Emma var skild, inte änka, när hon gifte om sig. Det här svaret fick jag.

"Thank you for contacting the Washington State Archives, Digital Archives. I believe that since Joel listed his father as his nearest relative that proves F Burkman was still alive into the 1910s and was not deceased. Emma probably listed her maiden name in the “Maiden name if a widow” field because that was the only option. The stigma attached to divorce at this time was significant and it was assumed the only reason people would remarry was because of a death, not a divorce.

It sounds to me as though the facts point to a divorce, not a death. If you are interested in ordering a copy of a divorce record I recommend contacting the Washington State Archives, Puget Sound Regional Branch to see if they have a King County civil divorce case between Emma Anderson and F Burkman before 1905. Here is a link to the Puget Sound Regional Branch’s contact information: http://www.sos.wa.gov/archives/archives_puget.aspx. Please keep in mind that couples could and would file for divorce in another county to avoid potential publication in the local newspaper, but most frequently couples applied in the county in which they were living for convenience."