NULL Skriv ut sidan - SV: SFor direc teryd, Sweden

Anbytarforum

Titel: SV: SFor direc teryd, Sweden
Skrivet av: Paul Knapp skrivet 2016-09-01, 12:16
Thank you Goran for your detailed reply.

I obtained my grandmother's married name(Amanda Matilda Swenson), birth date (2 June 1880) and death date(28 Mar 1959) from the Albany New York Rural Cemetary records. Then I did a search of the Ellis Island records to see if I could find persons with that name and having an age consistent with the birth date and year of immigration to New York. I found 4 possibilities three of which I was able to trace through Arkiv Digital and the  Poliskammare  records and who turned out to be born on a different date. The fourth was named Amanda Matilda Swenson arriving Ellis Island on October 3, 1903 and being 23 years old and last place of residence was Steryd, Sweden. So I wasn't able to trace her.

Searching familysearch.org I found an Ellis Island record of a Fritz Swenson arriving 26 Nov 1900 age 19years 7 month  consistent with my grandfather's name and birthdate of 4 Mar 1881 (also from the cemetery records) which indicated he was single. So unless he returned to Sweden and married there, my grandmother was single when she immigrated and I have been wasting my time looking for a Swenson.
Concerning my grandfather,  Agneta Geschwind @stockholm.se from the Stockholm's Stadsarkiv found my grandfather, Fritz Albert Swenson born 1881 in Helsingborg, county of Malmohus(in the very south of Sweden). From a CD of the inhabitants of Sweden 1890 she found he and his family registered in Sofiero, a Swedish Royal Summer Castle. There was an anecdote in my family that he had chased tennis balls for the royal prince Gustav and it made sense that would be at the summer castle, so that was very lucky.

Unfortunately I have no such anecdotes or memories about my grandmother.

Sorry for the cryptic subject title. It was meant to be Steryd, Sweden.

Paul