NULL Skriv ut sidan - SV: How to find a record listed on DISBYT database

Anbytarforum

Titel: SV: How to find a record listed on DISBYT database
Skrivet av: John Bentley skrivet 2016-06-08, 23:33
If Carl Gustaf had been alive and had married Carolinas mother, then most definitely she would have been Carlsdotter.  But if he was known to the mother as Gustaf, and she told her daughter that her father was Gustaf, then.......  I quote a precedent from my Swedish family.  My great grandfather was Carl Anders, but was known to the family as Anders.  Its why I was so curious when she was first recorded as Gustavsdotter. 

We might think of a sequence of events.  While her mother was alive she would simply have been oƤkta Carolina.  Once her mother had died she would need a second name.  It could have been the same as her mothers.  Butr I can see the priest asking at the annual household meeting, "you must have a proper name, girl, who was your father ?" "My mother said it was Gustaf, sir" "So you will hence be called Gustafsdotter".  I can well believe that happening.  You were named as the priest decreed.  Again I can quote a family precedent, where the priest decided on a boys name that did not follow the normal -son patronymic, because he said, "That is a good name, so you will hence be called ......."

This is all very possible, the first godparent with the dead son being a very strong reason.  Of course there might be another explanation, but .....