NULL Skriv ut sidan - SV: How to find a record listed on DISBYT database

Anbytarforum

Titel: SV: How to find a record listed on DISBYT database
Skrivet av: Christopher Small skrivet 2016-06-08, 03:58
Thanks everyone for your great help.

My main aim is to find my Great grandfather Gustaf Petersson who arrived in Auckland New Zealand in 1874 and married in 1878.

There is no record of his date of birth or the names of his parents in New Zealand.

Family oral history, which may or may not be correct, says he was a seaman who most likely jumped ship, had a sister called Maria, was at some stage meant to return to Kalmar due to some inheritance but was ill and could not travel.

We do know he came from Kalmar as there are several legal documents in New Zealand that record this.

He would have been born between 1840-1850 but most likely 1843-1846 given the age for him on the birth records of his children.

My sister and I have researched many Gustaf Peterssons from Kalmar, especially from the seaman house but have disproved all the ones we have looked at.

We have no other person from Sweden in our family tree.

As we do not have more details for Gustaf my sister and I have used DNA test to advance the process.

The results of DNA test shows that I am a 3rd-5th cousin match but most likely 4th cousin to a person in the USA who has Carolina Gustavsson as a Great grand parent.

Now a 4th cousin should have a common ancestor who is a Great great great grandparent.

This would mean a common ancestor for both Carolina Gustavsson and Gustaf Petersson who would be there grandparents.

We also have other matches at the same level (3rd-5th cousin match but most likely 4th cousin) with three other people living in Sweden, I am in the process of building their trees to find the common ancestor.

Currently I will look at the Carolina born in Torsås and try an prove or disprove she is the correct one.

An suggestions on how to proceed are very appreciated.

Christopher