NULL Skriv ut sidan - Education in the 1840s

Anbytarforum

Titel: Education in the 1840s
Skrivet av: Lee Himan skrivet 2009-06-19, 03:10
Thank you Per and Anders.  

Your sources are much more complete than any records I can find on Aron Högmans life in the United States even though he spent approximately 40 years here in Iowa.  Vital statistics, from pioneers days, are incomplete or missing in some rural areas.

Per, I am impressed with the details that were recorded by the church, that would include where Aron stayed when separated from his mother, the problem with the right knee, and what he did at age 16. Chris Bingefors had supplied me with many details of this stage in his life, and these help me write even more specifics.

Anders, although education has always been important in our history, we had no one law that established public education. In accordance with our Constitution and the 10th Amendment, each state of the union has been relatively independent relative to the rules governing education. However, public education was advanced by the national Homestead Act of 1862 (during the Lincoln Presidency) that set aside land for agricultural colleges and land for public schools in rural areas as the pioneers moved in. There is always a debate going on here as to the amount of support the federal government should be providing education, because with federal financial support comes regulation.

Sincerely,

Lee Himan