NULL Skriv ut sidan - Education in the 1840s

Anbytarforum

Titel: Education in the 1840s
Skrivet av: Lee Himan skrivet 2009-06-18, 00:19
Having spent 35 years in public education, as a teacher and an adminitrator, in Ames, Iowa, I am particularly interested in understanding how eduction might have been provided in the following instance.

My great grandfather was born in Dalskog Parish in 1838.  He was born of a single mother, separated from her at age 6 and then records show he began to work.  How would he have been able to receive an education when he was working at such a young age? How advanced was the industrial revolution in Sweden at the time?  I understand that a very large proportion of the population of Sweden was involved in agriculture in the 1800s.

In 1905, he wrote a letter to my grandfather that I have had translated.  The letter was in his handwriting and it was an understandable and well organized letter - at least the translated version is.  In it he offered my grandfather, who was here in Iowa farming, some good sound counsel. Some where he gained an education.  He was not a member of the military at any time based on what I know.