NULL Skriv ut sidan - Autosomalt test (för alla släktskap)

Anbytarforum

Titel: Autosomalt test (för alla släktskap)
Skrivet av: Margaretha Johansson skrivet 2016-03-01, 23:45
Hello Christopher,

Have you by any chance been able to find the book Svenskar i Nya Zeeland, Swedes in New Zealand written by Sten Aminoff? Here is some information about the book found on the internet:

3. Swedes in New Zealand
I recently picked up a book called Svenskarna i Nya Zeeland (The Swedes in New Zealand), written by Sten Aminoff. (Yes, it's spelled Nya Zeeland in Swedish!) I found this book quite interesting, since little has been written about the emigration to this part of the world.  

Let's go back in time, to the early 1800s, when a few Swedish sailors heard about a wonderful country far from Sweden, called Nya Zeeland. One of the first sailors to leave for New Zealand was Sven Sjögren, who then became friendly with a Maori family and married their beautiful daughter, Hinahina. They moved to Sweden, where unfortunately she became ill and died.  

Other sailors followed, most of them from the parishes along the Swedish coast. Charles Hopkinson, a sailor, became naturalized in New Zealand already in 1854. Carl Eberhard Sjöstedt, from Värmland, arrived in 1842, and changed his name to Charles Suisted.  

By mid 1800 gold was found in many places, including in New Zealand. Many Swedish emigrants settled in Australia first, then continued on to New Zealand. Yes, some of them found gold, and at least one, Olof Adam Söderlind, called Sutherland in NZ, apparently made quite a bundle.  

Many Swedes settled in Mauriceville West and in Norsewood, where they worked in the lumbering industry. Since most of their neighbors were English speaking, the Swedes assimilated rapidly and it did not take long before the Swedish language was forgotten. When World War I arrived and it became difficult to travel on the seas of the world, emigration more or less stopped.  

The Swedes who emigrated were named Johansson, Andersson, Persson, Olsson etc., like most Swedes. Many of these names were anglicized, like in other English speaking countries.

Over 10.000 people in New Zealand now have Swedish ancestry. Where do you start your research, if you believe you are one of them? Your first goal is to find your emigrant's Swedish name and his or her parish of birth or residence in Sweden. Start by asking your relatives, especially older ones, to see if they know where your great-grandfather came from.

Svenskarna i Nya Zeeland includes pages of Swedish emigrants, who settled in New Zealand and I'll be happy to look up your emigrants for you. This is the information included:  

The emigrant's name
    The date of birth (usually only the year)
    The parish and county in Sweden (VERY important)
    The year of arrival in New Zealand
    When and where he or she was naturalized in New Zealand
    The date and place of death
    If married and number of children
    Occupation
    Notes (sometimes include name of spouse)

So time to find your family in Sweden - and start the long journey from New Zealand across the oceans -  to visit them!  
Source:
http://www.bridgetosweden.com/letter%2018.htm

Gustaf Pettersson might be mentioned in that book.