NULL Skriv ut sidan - Hus i Amerika?

Anbytarforum

Titel: Hus i Amerika?
Skrivet av: Thomas Vikander skrivet 2010-03-01, 20:44
I have seen this photo before. But where?
It wouldn't be out of place on Canada's prairies, 1905-1925.  
Exterior (I see hinges) louvered shutters to mitigate direct intrusion of hot summer sun. Masonry chimney at the gable end. Stone foundation usually. This choice of placement on a building's perimeter is correctly inefficient due to wintertime heat loss to the outside, but it does perfect double duty for a summer kitchen. You just haul out the kitchen stove onto the back porch, reconnect to the chimmney and crank up the making of preserves!
(Perimeter placed chimmneys were common in spite of the knowledge of a true and tested design by the Hudson's Bay Co. Trading Posts, the forerunners of prarie settlement by Euromericans. HBC Posts usually had a square floor plan with hip rafters running from the corners up to a stone chimmney at the centre--- the most efficient way to heat an above grade building which would retain heat radiating from the stone mass chimney for 4-5 days.)  
Kakelungnar I've rarely seen in Canada, only in German and Russian Doukhabor dwellings.
Tapered sawn cedar shingle roof.
Tapered sawn cedar drop siding on the walls. The boards overlap. (Use as few exposed finishing nails as possible.)
Building materials and decorations (even whole houses and banks! in kit form) were often ordered by catalogue from the praries and arrived by rail, pre-manufactured in Canada's case, in Vancouver.

I'll be forevermore on the lookout elsewhere for this photo.