NULL Skriv ut sidan - Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 2006-05-06

Anbytarforum

Titel: Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 2006-05-06
Skrivet av: Charles LaVine skrivet 2006-03-20, 20:49
Thomas and all,

Again, thanks for your continued interest and help.

Thomas, you are correct. I proably am putting you all to disadvantage by not giving you better sentance context withing the story.

I suspicion that what I am translating is not Roos' original field diary but a more extensive later rewrite of his field diary. The basic condition is too good.

Roos is a very good observer, in fact what he relates is quite accurately reflected in the official history of the 3rd Minnesota, which was not written antil the 1890s. In fact, he gives detailns not noted in this history.

Roos is obviously a complicated man. I think he is better educated than one would think, is possibly somewhat of a braggart, and obviously marches to a different drumme. Why would a man with wife and children at the age of 49 or 50 volunteer to be a private in the Civil War Union Army? And he appears to have no sambition for higher rank.

He was one of the party of three that founded the Vasa settlement in Goodhue County, Minnesota and was a founding member, according to its protokol of the Vasa Lutheran Church, but then turns to the Methodist faith. He also at times times denigrates his fellow Swedish conradesin-arms as to their zeal and bravery although he is quite proud of his Swedish heritage. Moreover, he appears to be quite angry and disappointed with the support his Vasa neighbors give to his wife and family, during his absence at war. And they apprear, by his words, to be in considerable need. FYI: In the Vasa Lutheran Church's 50th anniversay book, Vasa Illustrerta, he is briefly mentioned only as one of the founders of the community and one of its Cival War veterans.

Someone should transcribe his diary into Swedish. I am certain that many of you would find it interesting.

Again, thanks

Charles

PS: Only 8 more sections to translate.