NULL Skriv ut sidan - Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 2006-07-08

Anbytarforum

Titel: Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 2006-07-08
Skrivet av: Charles LaVine skrivet 2006-05-20, 22:14
To All,

Per, your suggestion that ZAROF was a misspelling of SERAF Is the correct one. Roos, in this diary entry, is relating a story of the unkindness of some of his comrades to a group of wounded Michigan soldiers from whom they steal the woundeds' rubber blankets when they are all on board a steamer during a rain storm. Yes, they should be judged on Armegedon.  

Thanks from a wayward Augustan Lutheran who is not very knowledgable about the Bible.

Some more needed definitions or explanations:

1. Intet annat än att det är allt för läckert för swenaka munnen - ja läckeer än PORTCHES, hvartill en del of detsamma kunde prepareras

What is/are PORTCHES, possbibly a regional food or dish? Roos is describing the so-called smoked pork they get through the Union Army's commissary service - not good

2. Men hvad som Ännu öfverträffas allt i det store hela är flaskets sköna smak, jad will likna den med den beskast EKLUT.

What is EKLUT? SAOB did not recognize the word. And I do not think Roos misspelled EKLÖF.

3. Dit wi ankommo uti nedmörkning och under ett starkt åsk regn, att wi FLETA tämligen ondt.

FLETA could be in the present spelling FLÄTA = to braid, but this does not really make sense.

I am also puzzling over the word SCHENI. I thought I had copied the sentence in which it was used, but I apparently did not. I have translated it as follows. Using the word “vision”:

“Likewise, got a plate of broken sweet crackers from the same person who is the cook for the officers so that I now, for the remainder of the week, avoid having to forage for food or depend upon our sutler who, in any case, does not have much to offer and has the brilliant vision  to keep his goods at exaggerated prices.”

MVH,  
Charles