NULL Skriv ut sidan - Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 2006-02-25

Anbytarforum

Titel: Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 2006-02-25
Skrivet av: Ingela Martenius skrivet 2006-01-29, 02:48
RASEBUS - I have no idea, and the SAOB (Svenska Akademins OrdBok, the definitive dictionary of Swedish) doesn't have it either. Hopefully some one else can give an explanation! (It does sound a bit like Latin - perhaps one of our Latin scholars?)

RIKSHUSHÅLLARE - literally, householder of the realm; meaning that this guy Gustaf is going on about the generosity as if he was responsible for the nation's finances. It is a reference to our first Swedish king after the union era, Gustav Vasa, who is always portrayed as managing Sweden as if it was his own estate - and being very good at economizing (dissolution of the monasteries etc), indeed in older history books he is often referred to as a rikshushållare. You might be tempted to translate it with Lord High Steward (in the Scots manner) but this would give all the wrong ideas since this title (riksföreståndare) refers to the time before Sweden broke away from the union. Chancellor of the Exchequer (or whatever the American equivalent is) would be much better.

SPENDAGE - a gift which is akin to a fee, an expected gift for services rendered. In the old days even judges depended for their salary on stamp fees etc., and the dictionary says that spendage is a form of such fees. Today I think we'd regard it as protection money, but I don't think it was thought of as criminal at all in those days, merely a bit naughty if carried out in excess.

Ingela