NULL Skriv ut sidan - Olof Johansson Djupman military records, parents

Anbytarforum

Titel: Olof Johansson Djupman military records, parents
Skrivet av: Bridget Canniff skrivet 2010-09-08, 00:05
Fantastic work, everyone! I am so grateful to your help in reading the crossed out notes and other items on the 1824-29 Bro husförhörslängd, and finding Olof Johansson's birth record and info about his parents. Also, my apologies for reposting some of my questions under the Swedish language section - I had not realized that this was against the rules and would cause confusion. Thanks to Ingela for clarifying that for me, and redirecting people here.

It still seems strange to me that Olof's day, month and year of birth would be totally different in the earlier and later records (11 Nov 1816 on his birth records versus 17 Aug 1817 in his records as an adult). Perhaps his original birth date was forgotten or misrecorded later because he was separated from his parents when he was so young? And since he (and his father, it seems) had been born in Bro, could that be why that parish would have accepted him back from Södra Ny as a pauper, even if the family had lived in Södra Ny at some point? Would it be unusual to have a father who was a soldier, and yet have the family in the poorhouse (is this a good translation for fattigvård?) and the children placed with other families as paupers?

I will have to do some more investigation on his siblings and parents, but you have given me much more to go on than I could have hoped, and uncovered what I think is a very interesting story. I also now think that the Carl Johansson (born 1812) listed with Olof in the 1832-1835 Sjöbråten, Mässvik husförhörslängd could very well be Olof's older brother (listed in earlier records as being born in 1814). And of course if Olof's family were very poor, that could explain why he himself joined the military as a drummer boy at a young age.

Thanks once again to all, and if you have any other advice or information to share, I definitely appreciate it.

Bridget