NULL Skriv ut sidan - Olof Johansson Djupman military records, parents

Anbytarforum

Titel: Olof Johansson Djupman military records, parents
Skrivet av: Ingela Martenius skrivet 2010-09-02, 22:55
Well, the top one is easy enough.
Fhj/Gossen Olof Johansson
Pauper/Boy Olof Johansson

Fhj = Fattighjonet (the pauper)

Boy - Girl (flickan) always means someone under 15, i.e. not yet confirmed. Before you were confirmed you could not go into service. As soon as you turned 15 and were confirmed you could take a proper servant's job. This meant that you had to be paid according to law and couldn't be dismissed before your year was up; servants are either dräng or piga. But as long as someone is just gossen or flickan they work for food and lodging, and, if they have a kind mistresss, some second-hand clothing.
Pauper on the other hand means that they are supported by the parish. In this case it's reasonable to suppose that Olof was auctioned off to the lowest (yes) bidder, i.e. the parish paid the lowest amount possible to someone for the maintenance of Olof since he (or rather his parents) were too poor to support him. Boys weren't as popular as girls - girls could be worked harder while eating less, so they were a much better business proposition.

Just gosse makes it less likely that he was related to anyone in his master's family, but not impossible (could have been a nephew or something). But a pauper/boy designation more or less rules out any (practical) relationship.

The second bit I'm afraid I can't read.

Ingela