NULL Skriv ut sidan - Nils W. Olsson's book: Passenger Arrivals in NY

Anbytarforum

Titel: Nils W. Olsson's book: Passenger Arrivals in NY
Skrivet av: Karen Kelsey skrivet 2006-01-28, 23:42
Thanks so much, Elisabeth.  I am sure that the family was acquainted with followers of Erik Jansson through their Methodist faith, both in Sweden and here.  I think that the four children grew up in Stark county, near Bishop Hill.  John Olif told his children that a man named Reed helped him set up in a shoemaking business, and there were two shoemakers named Reed in Stark County.  They all married in Stark County, not Henry County.
   In a previous discussion, Jöran Johansson cited a quote that told about settlers who had stayed in Chicago: In 1880 there was a book published in Chicago, Svenskarne i Illinois - historiska anteckningar (The Swedes in Illinois - historical notes). The text is in Swedish and there are a lot of misspellings and misunderstandings, but I think most of the information may be correct.
 At page 234 it said that Oct 3, 1846 there was a large number of immigrants, all from Västmanland, arriving at Chicago. They had intended to go to Bishop Hill, but in Chicago they changed their mind and stayed. Among them were Anders Larson, Jan Janson (brother to Erick Janson, the founder of Bishop Hill), John P. Källman (Chalman), Pehr Erson, Peter Hessling, A. Thorsell and a man named Kjellström. All of them were living together the first time in a house at Illinois Str, between Dearbon Str and State Str.  
Thereafter some notes are made about a few of them, but Kjellström isn't mentioned anymore.

So between your research, and the quote that Jöran found, I feel certain that the family did not live at the colony.

And yes, many immigrants came to the U.S. but decided not to live in the primitive homes at Bishop Hill in 1846.  I feel that the Källströms came with the Janssonists, but did not live there.  They were entered as original settlers because of the work of Robert Nelson, who referred to Olsson's Passenger Arrivals in NY.  I appreciate that you took time to look this up for the Kelsey family.