NULL Skriv ut sidan - Swedish money in 1790 and before

Anbytarforum

Titel: Swedish money in 1790 and before
Skrivet av: Agneta Rung skrivet 2000-07-31, 11:37
Ishbel,

You got me reading again! I looked into my encyclopedia and this it what it says about coins.  

The value of the coins in those days corresponded to the commercial value of the metal they were made of. Sweden minted coins in gold, silver and copper. The clippings you mention were in Sweden regular coins with a value of 1 öre. In other countries that method was used mainly for making the type of coins that did not contain the right amount of metal - some kind of crisis coins (nödmynt in swedish) made in times of war for instance. In 1717, Charles XII, had 1 daler silver coins made from copper, but although they are crisis coins they are round.

The first coins made in Sweden are from around year 1000 - before that we used foreign coins.

The largest coin in the world was struck in Avesta, Dalarna, in 1644. It was made from copper but had the value 10 daler silver. It is rectangular and weighs 19,7 kilos (!) - you don't put that one in your pocket... (I was born and raised in Avesta, by the way, and I have seen a replica of that coin in the Mint museum.)

The Mint in Avesta was started in 1644 by Marcus Kock for striking copper coins. He worked there 1644-1657. 1644-1831 (almost 200 years) Avesta was responsible for almost all coin production in Sweden.

Between 1777 and 1855 the coins in Sweden were:
1 riksdaler = 48 skilling
1 skilling = 12 runstycken (specie)

So the 1/4 of a farm cost 777 riksdaler, 37 skilling and 4 runstycken specie.

From the medieval ages until 1776 a lot of different coins existed. In 1719 you had:  
1 riksdaler (specie) = 3 daler silvermynt = 9 daler kopparmynt. (Silvermynt means silver coin and kopparmynt means copper coin.)

So the goblet was worth 23 daler kopparmynt.

Regards
Agneta