NULL Skriv ut sidan - Scandinavian spoon

Anbytarforum

Titel: Scandinavian spoon
Skrivet av: Karen Kelsey skrivet 2006-11-23, 19:03
Thank you, Ingela.  I am from a totally Scandinavian family, and I find that the things they gave me, or the traditions they tried to impart, were often those brought from the old country.  My mormors mor, Josefina Johansdotter Anderson, always gave me a silver spoon at both birthdays and Christmas, and she talked about my hope chest.  She gave me hand-crocheted doilies and tiny spoons (for salt) for that chest, which I sarcastically renamed my barrel of despair.  I have been married for 40 years, and I still have two silver chests that are filled with items inherited from my grandmothers and grt-grandmothers, and everything is silver.  When my mormors mor came to the U.S. from DagsÃ¥s parish, she wanted to own things - probably because she came from a poor background.  Therefore, she invested in silver tea services, plates and bowls, and silverware, and sparkling cut glass bowls, and she gave her grand and great grandchildren silver as gifts.  I never knew why, but now you have made me understand this tradition.  It also lets me know why we inherited so much silver from the old folks!