NULL Skriv ut sidan - Högsby Parish Kalmar län--Fredrik Tigerström/Ström

Anbytarforum

Titel: Högsby Parish Kalmar län--Fredrik Tigerström/Ström
Skrivet av: Chris Troy skrivet 2000-10-21, 04:06
Harold, The easiest way I have found to find the parish name is to use Rötter's own Socken-Sök facility.  Go to the bottom of this page and in the line immmediately under the red print you will see the words Socken-Sök underlined in blue.  Click on this and it takes you to a search page.  Briefly, the instructions are:

Write the name of a socken, kommun, län, landskap or a SCB-code (those used by SVAR) in the query field.  Please differentiate between capitals and undercase letters!  Also you must use the correct Swedish spelling and åäö as applicable.  It definitely will not work if the place is spelled incorrectly.

Click the button labelled Sök.

It will bring up a grid showing the following:

Landskap = Landskap
Nuvarande församlingsnamn = current parish name
Nuvarande kommun = current kommun
Nuvarande län = current län
SCB-kod = SCB-code (code used by SVAR for their films)
Kyrkböckernas förvaring = where the original church books are archived.    

I then go to SVAR and read all the information they give on the listed parishes to try to determine which is the right one.  For instance, if you search on Arvika, you will get 11 parishes!

I also use Lantmäteriet maps to home in and see which parishes are closest to the area I am searching.  This sometimes helps to narrow down the search.

There is probably an easier way, possibly a book or CD which lists every parish and all of the little communities in it.  If there is, I, too, would love to know about it.  An online interactive map showing parish boundaries and the names of the communities within those boundaries would be an absolute godsend!

Cheers, Chris