NULL Skriv ut sidan - HEDBERG- Nils, Edla Kristina, Gottnar and Gerda

Anbytarforum

Titel: HEDBERG- Nils, Edla Kristina, Gottnar and Gerda
Skrivet av: donna skrivet 2000-02-29, 19:27
Magnus: I was away a few days so I just got your message.  
It was fascinating and I am grateful for your kind efforts-yet again. How wonderful! Please
extend my gratitude to Ingalena Marthin as well.

I'd like to ask for your opinion and/or suggestions with regard to the emigration. I have checked microfilm records here in Toronto trying to locate the family- without success. As I mentioned before Roy (Gerda's son) told me that he believed that they emigrated in June of 1913 and that the ship name was the Corsican (or the Corsica) and that they landed at Halifax, Nova Scotia.  
I found a site where one can request a single name look up on the CD Emigranten so I submitted Nils Hedberg.  The lady (Cathy Maak) responded that there was no Nils Hedberg matching my request and that perhaps the family travelled to Norway or Denmark and departed from there. My question would be-how and why? Some feeder ships also sailed from Sweden-correct? Do the church records list any kind of information other than the year they emigrated? I hope so because I am really struggling with this one.

The other thing that I wanted to mention was that I also happened upon a site that now lists the 1890 census for Sweden.  I looked up Edla Kristina and found her in the Bjorholm parish.  Her mother was listed as Sara Johanna Olofsdotter.  Sara's children were listed as:

Sven Olof-born 1877
Edla Kristina-born 1879
Jonas Elof-born 1882
Maria Johanna-born 1885

There was no father listed. I was wondering why this would be? Could it be that he passed away sometime before the 1890 census?  From your research I understand Edla's surname was listed as Sjöberg in the actual church records. I was hoping to locate her father as well but..
I did go back to the BC Death Index to check for Edla's siblings-since I know from Audrey that she boarded with and aunt and uncle on Edla's side in the 1940's. I did not locate Edla's brothers but I did find a Maria Johanna Gustafson. She passed away on December 26, 1972 at 87 years of age which would mean she was born in 1885(approximately of course!). Marriage records are not open until 75 years after the event so I cannot check that-and she may well have married in Sweden before emigrating to Canada. This lady was listed in Burnaby BC which is where Nil's brother Sven had lived and passed so...  
What do you think? I think this could well be Edla's sister.

Well I believe that is enough for this message.   I look forward to hearing from you, Magnus.

Regards,
Donna