NULL Skriv ut sidan - Sven Nilsson 1818-1862 of Helsingborg to Melbourne, Australia

Anbytarforum

Titel: Sven Nilsson 1818-1862 of Helsingborg to Melbourne, Australia
Skrivet av: Julie McGrath skrivet 2007-06-12, 04:53
I'm trying to find out the origins of a man by the name of Sven Nilsson born in 1818 and died in 1862. According to his immigration papers, Sven immigrated to Australia onboard the 'Helene' (dep. 1852, arr. 1853). He was listed as a Seaman on his papers and that he was from the town of Helsingborg in Sweden. I found this in the book Emigrants from Hamburg to Australia [Eric and Rosemary Kopittke]. He turned his hand to mining in Australia, specifically in the region of Dunolly, Victoria, and did very well for himself, finding enough gold to fund a total of 3 round trips to Sweden and back to Australia (another trip from Germany to Australia onboard the 'Helene' from 1855, arriving in 1856, and the other was possibly in 1860 onboard the Voorwaarts but this is unconfirmed). He had three children with his wife Emilie Sophia Friederike Brandt (who he met onboard ship during the 1855-1856 trip): Maria Margaret (1857-abt 1950), Peter Sven L.(1860-1949), and Henry (Henry died in infancy: 1862-1863). Emilie was a German migrant from Neubukow, Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Germany who lived between 1829-1894. I know from his death record and marriage record that Sven was born in 1818 and died 29 Jul 1862 in Dunolly, Victoria, Australia. I unfortunately at this stage have been unable to find his exact birth date in any of his papers. Sven's family name tended to evolve(eg. Neilson, Nelsson, etc.) with his Australian family eventually going by the name of Nelson.

How do I go about trying to find his family? I am completely out of my league as I've never done Swedish genealogy before. Can anyone help me and point me in the right direction to find out who Sven's parents were and the dates he travelled to and from Australia?

Many, many thanks
- Julie