NULL Skriv ut sidan - Emigranten lookup please -- Karl Bengtsson fr. Mjäldrunga, Älsvborg

Anbytarforum

Titel: Emigranten lookup please -- Karl Bengtsson fr. Mjäldrunga, Älsvborg
Skrivet av: Jeff Benson skrivet 2006-02-26, 20:19
Matts,

Thank you for the offer. I will give you what information I have but it isn't a lot.

Clara Olivia married Louis Clifford Leonard on or about June 6, 1890. I have their marriage certificate from Cook county, Illinois (Chicago). The certificate says she was 18 yr.s old and Louis was age 31 (no birth dates given). Louis Leonard was a traveling salesman.

I have also seen a copy of the birth certificate for Louis and Clara's first child, daughter Louise (my wife's grandmother). The birth date was 10 Sept. 1899. The family lived on Calumet Avenue in Chicago. The certificate said Louis was born in Taunton, Massachusetts and Clara was born in Mjelldrunga, Sweden.

A friend looked up the family in the U.S. census. In 1900, they lived on 40th St. in Hyde Park township. Here it says Clara was born April, 1872. (There is good agreement here with Mjäldrunga birth records.) In 1920, the family has a second daughter, Marian, and they live at 6030 Kenwood Ave. The entry evidently says Clara immigrated 1870 (clearly wrong or misread) and was naturalized 1891.

Aside from the family stories I relate above, I don't have much more. At some point they moved to California but I don't know when. I know daughter Louise died in Pasadena, CA so perhaps the Leonards lived nearby.

Kindest regards,

Jeff