NULL Skriv ut sidan - Emigranten lookup please -- Karl Bengtsson fr. Mjäldrunga, Älsvborg

Anbytarforum

Titel: Emigranten lookup please -- Karl Bengtsson fr. Mjäldrunga, Älsvborg
Skrivet av: Jeff Benson skrivet 2006-02-23, 05:59
Karl Bengtsson, born 8 May, 1830 in Herrljunga. Hemmansägare in Mjäldrunga from at least the early 1860s. Married Johanna Nilsdotter (b. 15 Feb 1832) in 1853. They had 6 daughters, the youngest of which, Klara Olivia b. 7 Apr 1872, may be my wife's gr-grandmother.

According to the 1873-85 Hfl, Johanna died in 1875 and two daughters emigrated to America in 1880. Karl has a note on his Hfl entry that says he remarried but also left the parish without permission, said to be in America. By 1882 he is recorded on the page of missing persons.

I found a marriage record in Eriksberg parish, 2 Sep. 1881, between Karl and widow Anna Kristina Petersdotter, living at Hästhagen, Eriksberg with two children. Karl is not recorded in the Eriksberg Hfl but he did father a child, Karl Albin Karlsson, b. 23 Jul 1882 at Hästhagen.

I strongly believe Karl Bengtsson emigrated to America sometime after 1881, possibly as late as 1884 when Klara Oliva emigrated to America. Klara left Mjäldrunga on 6 Mar. 1884.

I am trying to establish that this Klara Olivia Bengtsdotter is my wife's ancestor, Clara Olivia Benson. I don't yet have a full birth date for Clara Olivia from U.S. records but I have solid independent evidence that she was born in Mjäldrunga in 1872. Clara grew up and married in Chicago, later moved to California. According to family history related by Clara, she emigrated at age 11 or 12 and was accompanied by her father. The story goes that her father was a contractor (carpenter) in Chicago and Clara would deliver him his lunches at the job site.

Here is the Emigranten record for Clara:

First name: CLARA
Last name: CARLSDOTTER
Parish: ERIKSBERG     County: P
Port: GÖTEBORG
Date: 1884 03 14
Destination: CHICAGO
Fellows: NEJ
Source: 24:199:23026

Perhaps Karl Bengtsson is also recorded leaving Eriksberg on this date? Or maybe he left somewhat earlier. Either way, an emigration adds to the evidence this is the correct family.

The curious thing about all this is I find no sign of Anna K. Petersdotter or her children leaving Eriksberg.

Thanks for the help,

Jeff Benson