NULL Skriv ut sidan - Sophia Anna Svenson: född June 11, 1867 (Vastra Ootland, Gussenberg)

Anbytarforum

Titel: Sophia Anna Svenson: född June 11, 1867 (Vastra Ootland, Gussenberg)
Skrivet av: Judy Olson Baouab skrivet 2002-11-25, 04:58
Hi Donna,

I have done some research in New York state since I had ancestors living in Jamestown, New York.  

Many very helpful records have been microfilmed and can be obtained through Family History Centers.

For example, I have found very good information on marriage applications, including the parish of birth in Sweden, names of parents, etc.

I have been able to find some cemetery records with useful information on the cause of death, etc.

There are STATE censuses for New York state in different years from the U.S. Federal Censuses. The census in 1910 was not a state census but rather a federal census. The state censuses were taken in many years. The most recent ones were taken in 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, and 1925.Federal censuses in the same time period were taken in 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930. A year of immigration was listed in the federal censuses for 1900-1910-1920-1930. The state censuses from New York asked how many years they had lived in the United States in their questions for 1905, 1915, and 1925.

Ages are given in those censuses, so you can estimate a year of birth. The 1900 federal census asked for the month and year of birth. These questions might not always be answered the same on each census, so check as many as you can. You will probably see a pattern developing.

I have checked out Swedish-American church records at the Swenson Center (and you can do the same or pay them to research for you.) If they joined one of those churches, the parish in Sweden, exact birthdate, year of immigration, etc. are listed, and even nonmembers had baptisms, confirmations, marriages, funerals, etc. performed in the church.

The Swedish-American newspapers give obituaries which often are far more detailed than the same obituaries in English language newspapers.

Check out all the links at this site for the Swenson Center. There is a lot to access if you use their services.

http://www.augustana.edu/administration/SWENSON/

You didn't mention where they lived in New York but each county probably has historical societies and genealogical societies which have books, journals, special materials, etc. which might be your only chance to learn the parish they lived in while in Sweden. I have found that sort of information in other historical societies in other places, and I see no reason why that wouldn't be available in New York too.

Good luck!

Judy