NULL Skriv ut sidan - Sophia Anna Svenson: född June 11, 1867 (Vastra Ootland, Gussenberg)

Anbytarforum

Titel: Sophia Anna Svenson: född June 11, 1867 (Vastra Ootland, Gussenberg)
Skrivet av: Eva Dahlberg skrivet 2002-11-24, 19:31
Hi! There are over 900 Anna Sofia leaving Sweden before 1894 according to the CD Emigranten, and only one Sofia Anna - last name Hammar and some Sofia A (the order Anna Sofia has a better ring to it, she may still have been called Sofia and just changed the order of the names when she came to the US, I have a Nils Oskar who became Oscar Nels in the US as Oscar was the name he went by- Swedes may be called any of the first names they have, it's not first name - middle name - surname).

There are several Anna Sofia with a last name that starts with Sven on the cd, no obvious match.

You need to be able to pinpoint her better, as you can't search the CD by birth dates, only age which sometimes is of by a year or two.

Have you checked if she belonged to a Swedish-American church in the US (and please tell us where she ended up ...:-) )? Those records often give parish of birth in Sweden (if not her, maybe her parents or siblings?).

I also find the last name Ross for Sven's parents a bit unSwedish. You probably need to find your Sophia Anna before you can find her parents and grandparents. The Ross-connection is far to uncertain at the moment when you have no source indicating who they actually were.

The CD Emigranten doesn't have full coverage of the emigrants from Sweden either, so they may not be in there at all. There actually is a database originating from the clerical surveys, which may be searched by birth dates, but that is not publicly available. They have it at the Swedish Emigrant Institute in Växjö. I see you have posted on Sweden Genealogy Forum already and there you see a Swede who does quite a few lookups there from this database (EMIBAS) as he is one of the few who has access to the database as he was one of its developers I believe. I thought he would have answered you. There is no one monotoring this forum that seems to have access to this database.

On Sweden Genealogy Forum you state that she married in Sweden under your request on Sven Magnusson? That's not what you say here and in your request on her on that forum.

I also tried the Cd Emigranten for the possible sister you name on Sweden Genealogy Forum and for the husband, but I seem to find 'nada' of interest.

I think that maybe you should post there again, under your initial question, stating that the CD Emigranten have been searched without luck by others. Also make clear that it's June 11 1867 she was born, to a Swede your information looks like Nov 6 ... :-) And make sure you know where they married. Try to be as exact as possible with the facts you actually have, and state other (and possibly conflicting) facts as unsure or hearsay or whatever, to avoid setting the search on the wrong track.

Also try to wash out everything from your American sources on Sofia, her husband and her parents and come back here and tell us. We'll do what we can to help!
kind regards,
Eva Dahlberg