NULL Skriv ut sidan - Sophia Anna Svenson: född June 11, 1867 (Vastra Ootland, Gussenberg)

Anbytarforum

Titel: Sophia Anna Svenson: född June 11, 1867 (Vastra Ootland, Gussenberg)
Skrivet av: Jan Ek skrivet 2002-11-24, 13:40
Donna,

Looks to me your quest is not at all impossible, IF Sven Petter Magnusson and Anna Lena Bengtsdotter are indeed your ancestors? A few things don't match; Sven's birthyear 1829 instead of 1831, and of course her name Anna Lena instead of Anna Sofia. There could be possible reasons for that though, like Sven being married twice?

I think there are two roads ahead; one is piecing the whole history together for the family in Wessige you know existed, to see if emigrations and children match. That can be done from church record microfiche cards at a Family History Center in USA, or by someone in Sweden.

The other road would be to try finding death certificates in USA collaborating on the relations. These documents CAN be wrong sometimes though; since records rely on what the informant or next of kin at the time of death can tell about the deceased. I have so far only experience from finding death certificates in Minnesota, where this is relatively easy. Almost all years in 1900 are available and indexed.

Not finding Sofia Anna at Ellis Island is probably because she came before those records start 1892. Most likely before 1890 even, explaining why she isn't in the 1890 Swedish census. Don't forget though there are other routes into US than Ellis Island, NY.

Other genealogists with more experience than I might see faults in this reasoning and also other roads ahead.

Good luck,
Jan Ek