NULL Skriv ut sidan - Saami ancestry in southern Sweden

Anbytarforum

Titel: Saami ancestry in southern Sweden
Skrivet av: Liz Carlson skrivet 2012-08-27, 05:15
Greetings!
I have a question regarding having any possible Saami ancestry. So far my known Swedish ancestors are from Vårdnäs, Östergötland; Sunne, Värmland; Frykerud, Värmland; Särestad, Skaraborg; and Vimmerby. I am told I have Saami ancestry but I am not sure which line it is from. I also suspect that there were many generations of intermarriage and assimilation occurring with my Saami ancestors. I have read a bit about some historical moments in colonial processes in Sweden regarding Saami peoples when they were forced to either leave the south or assimilate and cease herding reindeer. I have also heard of South Saami peoples. I am wondering how common it is that peoples in the above mentioned locations might have Saami ancestry and what clues I might see that would help me detect which of my ancestors have such heritage.  

It is very difficult for Saami American and Saami Canadian peoples to discover their Saami heritage because this was often hidden during emigration because of the internalized shame due to colonialism.  

Does anyone have any insight into these questions and the related history?

Liz