NULL Skriv ut sidan - Questions resulting from Bouppteckning translation

Anbytarforum

Titel: Questions resulting from Bouppteckning translation
Skrivet av: Kathryn Stone skrivet 2012-09-15, 03:54
I've been lucky enough to have several people translate boupptecknings for me, but, as always seems to be the case, more information just leads to more questions.  
If someone could try to answer some of these for me, I would be ever so grateful:

[color=0000ff]1. Wedding Rings[/color]
[these relatives are all poor torparen, mostly in Östergötland]
    [color=0000ff].[/color] In 1843, a woman/wife has died leaving behind a husband and children, mostly all grown, and the inventory includes a silver ring, valued at 16 sk.  
    [color=0000ff].[/color] In 1814, a man/husband has died leaving behind a wife and several adult children, and the inventory includes 'the widow's gold engagement ring' which isn't given a value.
I have 7 additional bouptecknings, married men and women, died between 1790 - 1850, none of them mention a ring.  So is this a typical representation, and only rarely would a woman have a wedding band? Or . . . ?

[color=0000ff]2. Dowries[/color]
    [color=0000ff].[/color] 1788 Lars Nilsson died, the inventory includes Hemgifter [dowry?] then lists the 4 children who are of age [2 sons, 2 daughters] as having received certain amounts of money [not equal]. There are 3 additional children [1 son, 2 daughters]. When the estate is settled, all of the sons and daughters receive an inheritance that does not seem to be influenced by the 'hemgifter' that has already been given.
    [color=0000ff].[/color] 1814 Jacob Carlsson died, and after the estate has been settled, the 'widow declared she did not want any part of what the children received as dowry' [1 son, 2 daughters - all married].
In the 7 other boupptecknings their is no mention of dowries. Can someone tell me about this custom of hemgifter? for both sons and daughters? is it possible/likely that a parents would ask for it back after the death of a spouse?

[color=0000ff]3. Estate left in debt, who pays?[/color]
    [color=0000ff].[/color] In 1843, Christina Arvidsdotter dies leaving behind a husband and 8 children. After the estate inventory, the debts amount to more than 346 rdr, and the assets total about 229 rdr. How will this debt be handled? Is the family forced to sell everything they own to pay only most of the debt? 3 sons are of age, are they obliged to help pay off this debt?

[color=0000ff]4. 2 silver cups[/color]
    [color=0000ff].[/color] All of these estates except one, include '2 silver cups'. This must be some kind of tradition, as these families seem too poor to indulge in a luxury. Can someone tell me about the '2 silver cups'?

[color=0000ff]5. Estate distribution[/color]
    [color=0000ff].[/color] I have 2 questions here. The first is, 3 of the 9 boupptecknings do not indicate how the estate was divided. After the assets have been inventoried and the debts noted, there is clearly still a 'balance' but no mention of how it was divided among children and spouse.  Does anyone know why?
    [color=0000ff].[/color] And my second question is related to the division of an estate between the surviving spouse and the children. Is that still the norm in Sweden? In the US when one spouse dies everything goes to the surviving spouse [unless there is a will with other instructions that pertain to belongings that are solely the property of the deceased]. Children do not 'inherit' until both parents have died.

For any and all answers and comments offered, I am most thankful.

Kathryn