NULL Skriv ut sidan - Mystery about a location and family name.

Anbytarforum

Titel: Mystery about a location and family name.
Skrivet av: John Bentley skrivet 2012-09-16, 12:41
I am very sorry now that I suggested that he was a smith. It was really only an attempt at an explanation. But from my own observations (and I am very happy to be corrected) village folk at that time (1880 and in Halland) kept their patronymic names unless they were of some real importance or had a skilled trade. I was looking for that trade. Twenty years later it was different. It was also not the same in towns. Townfolk were somewhat more likely to have individual names.  

I have searched my Halland Befolkning CD and looked at the occupation of those with the name Bergström over the years. All trades were covered by that name so if the father had a trade, it could have been anything. But I have read the above postings carefully, there is no suggestion either that the father had a special trade or ever used the name Bergström ?  

Since Jonathan would surely like some rational explanation I concur with Ing-Marie. That the girls when emigrating did not want the common name Svensson and seized the chance to change. I see from Disbyt and from the 1880 census that there were Bergströms in Blidsberg in earlier years so they might have heard the name and liked it enough to adapt it as their own. I also concur with the link of Bergström and Blidberg through berg. I like to think that my ancestor Per Segerlund took the name because the family farm was Lunden, incorporating lund (grove) into his name.