NULL Skriv ut sidan - Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 2004-11-17

Anbytarforum

Titel: Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 2004-11-17
Skrivet av: Jan Ek (Janek) skrivet 2004-09-05, 11:56
I checked the Ellis Island manifest, and to me it looks like Axel's destination 1914 is Sargent, Minnesota (Minn). One alternative would be Sargent Mine in Itasca, the two brothers trying their luck in mining being possible. The other alternative is Sargeant township in Mower county. I can see from the Mower genealogy page it's also spelled Sargent locally.

I have looked at the indexes available for 1910 and 1920, both focused on the counties mentioned, but also a couple of broader searches. I haven't managed to find anything really promising there. But Gustafson with its many spelling variations are very common names, and if the ages were put down wrong, I can easily have missed them.

If they were moving around in the Iron range, they can also have tried logging, and be lost in the censuses. Or even be in Canada for long periods. Although this is a likely theory, there is also one interesting and possible lead for a connection with Mower county.

In the Minnesota Naturalization Index 1854-1957 I found this entry:

AXEL LUDVIG GUSTAFSON  
State: MINNESOTA  
Reel #: 1  
Vol #: 3  
Code #: 5  
Page #: 46  

And in the Alien Registration records:

Axel Ludvig Gustafson    
County: Mower  
City: Dexter  
State: MINNESOTA  
Roll #: 110  
Frame #: 0501

BOTH of these records can be ordered, also with credit card, from the Iron Range Research Center. Go Database search.

There is also a naturalization record for a J.P. Gustavson in Mower, but this being Johannes, or a third brother might be a long shot?