NULL Skriv ut sidan - Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 27 januari, 2009

Anbytarforum

Titel: Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 27 januari, 2009
Skrivet av: Lars-Olov Eriksson skrivet 2004-10-12, 00:01
In my research of certain personalities in Öland in the middle of the 17th century I have been consulting the archives of the General Governour (generalguvernör) of the maintenance counties (underhållsländer) of queen Kristina. Searching the whereabouts of my person of interest I came across information of remarkable genealogic significance regarding a person indirectly connected to my person. Since this type of information cannot easily be found without knowing that it exists, buried in a letter mainly dealing with other subjects as it were, I thought I should share my discovery with anybody interested in either or both of the two persons mentioned below. I am submitting the information as suggested evidence for further research and not as verified truth.

The governour (landshövding) of Öland and Gotland, one Ludwigh Fritz in Borgholm in Öland, is writing two letters, on the 14th and on the 20th of May 1659, to the General Governour, Sewedh Bååt, recommending Gudmund Gudmundsson for the position as a ? (befallningsman or kronofogde, i e responsible for all taxation of part of a county) for southern Öland (södra motet). In doing so he describes him as a son of a son of (sohnesohn til) THE Per Gudmundsson Strömberg in Jönköping. Gudmund Gudmundsson soon after was appointed.

This Per Gudmundsson ought to be the very influential and zealous and very rich merchant, mayor of Jönköping (1619-1633) and more.  He was also a pioneering industrialist, he was the greatest export player in Halmstad, he founded the textile industry (vantmakerier), ran sheep farming (schäferi) and so on. In 1643-1644 he alone payed 4 % of the total tax of Jönköping. He died 1655.

In the record of all clergy men in the county of Kalmar (herdaminnet) it is said about the vicar of Torslunda, Gudmund Petri (1599-1635), that he had a son being a ? (kronofogde, i e befallningsman) - thi could be the Gudmund Gudmundsson mentioned. About the origin of the vicar nothing is said.

At first glance the pieces of evidence combined would suggest that Gudmund Petri was a son of Per Gudmundsson  in Jönköping. Problematic, though, is that the authors Arbman/Norberg in their book The history of  Jönköping (Jönköpings stads historia) maintain that Per Gudmundsson  in Jönköping had a son named Gudmund Persson, being busy running sheep farming (schäferi) and dieing 1643. The vicar also seems too old to fit in. The clergy record could be wrong, the authors could be wrong but the letters are stating what I am citing and I doubt that contemporary authorities did not know the true origin of an important civil officer.

As said, I can accept accountability for the factual information, i e the pieces of text cited, but any conclusion is up to any interested and capable researcher after further investigation. Obviously there are contradictory evidence which has to be straightened out. All the persons mentioned are frequently appearing in correspondance, accounts and court records.

Unfortunately I am already busy full time with my own subject, thus cannot take on any further research into the subject, hereby brought to attendance. This on the other hand should mean that there are some lucky ones out there for which this juicy stuff is sitting waiting !

I would be interested to hear from any such volunteer and to learn about the truth of the matter.

Lars-Olov Eriksson

Inlägg flyttat från Landskap -> Öland -> Efterlysningar