NULL Skriv ut sidan - Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 1.2.2001

Anbytarforum

Titel: Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 1.2.2001
Skrivet av: Donna Corlett skrivet 2000-05-06, 23:32
Hi!  I am looking for information about Anders Adamsson.  
According to his obit in the USA, Anders was born December 12, 1844 in Oskarshamn, Kalmar county.  (Döderhult parish?)
He had two siblings: Oskar and Charles (exact birthdates unknown). The father's name was Adam Adamsson-birthdate unknown-and mother unknown.

Adam Adamsson was a sea captain for many years...and he apparently died and was buried at sea.  His son Adam also ended up following the sea and after twenty+ years of doing just that...he then settled in the USA.  There seems to be no formal record of his entering America...perhaps he travelled upon a sea vessel (as many times before!) and disembarked in the USA without having to of purchased his fare?  
Both father (Adam) and his son (Anders) were not found on the CD Emigranten...and although the departure year from Sweden is unknown for Anders...his obit also noted that he started to follow the sea, as his father had right after his education was completed.  Since Anders was born in 1844...any thoughts on when he would have completed the required education and thus been off to sea?  Was there a mandatory level of education at that time?  
Also...it seems clear that Adam Adamssom never emigrated -to anywhere from Sweden...he lived there and travelled the sea from one (or multiple) Swedish ports-until his passing.  Considering this, Adam's death would be recorded in Sweden-correct?

It would be of great interest to locate Anders -and his family in Oskarsahmn.
*I noted from the LDS site that part of Döderhult was actually an old harbour area (Döderhultsvik).  I really hope that this could lead to locating the family...as the sea was obviously a major part of their lives.

Please note: Also found on the LDS site-Döderhultsvik became a(the!) city named- Oskarshamn in the year 1856.  Since Anders was born in 1844...I found the mention of Oskarsahmn strange...it supposedly didn't come into existance until 1856-???

Based on the above, I assume and hope that I put this in the right place!
Thank you very much!