NULL Skriv ut sidan - Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 2012-05-19

Anbytarforum

Titel: Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 2012-05-19
Skrivet av: Martin Westein skrivet 2012-02-25, 01:49
Thank you all for your time and effort!

Rune: your English is perfect!  
Some remarks:
- can I assume that Lovin Fredrik and Fredrik (the vice-admiral) are father and son, considering that Gustaf could be named after his drowned uncle? In other words, did this kind of naming took place sometimes in Sweden in that period?
- what were the rules for naming a child. In the Netherlands for instance it was common to name babyboys to his grandfathers and babygirls to her grandmothers. When there were more children they were named after uncles, aunts and grandparents of the baby's parents  
- He was captured in 1797, that might be the battle i mentioned in my earlier message. The battle took place in a bay near Cape of Good Hope (= Cap de Bonne Esperance). But he was on board of a Dutch vessel then. Did swedisch officers 'switch sides', for money?

Together with information I received through email I know have:

There once was a vice admiral Fredrik Rotkirch who had (at least) 5 sons:
Fredrik, Gustaf, Johan (one of the above), Karl Fredrik and possibly Lovin (or Levin) Fredrik.

Lovin (or Levin) Fredrik married may 29th 1764 with Helena Blomqvist. They might have had a daughter Margaretha Sophia (born on the same day as the marriage!). September 5th 1766 they had a son, Gustaf Adolpf.

Gustaf Adolph joined the Navy and somehow met Margaretha Vis from Rotterdam and he married her, starting the dutch family line of Roodkerk (Red church, I think that is the translation of RotKirch?).

This is great! You helped me discover so much in just two days and gave me a few pointers for further research. Maybe I should convince my wife to visit the land one of her ancestors came from for a holiday, so I can sneak out to an archive ;-)