NULL Skriv ut sidan - Berry U.S. surname - Swedish origen?

Anbytarforum

Titel: Berry U.S. surname - Swedish origen?
Skrivet av: Joy McMullen skrivet 2006-01-07, 00:49
Matt,
I do know that both Albert Berry and Charles Berry were born in Sedalia Missouri, according to their death records. (Also, Albert is my husband's grandfather, and all family knowledge confirms the Sedalia birth for him.)

Christina was listed as a widow in 1880 census and in Springfield city directories, which is where I found her late husband's name-Charles.  The last child, Charles, was born in 1872.  It seems reasonable that the father died between 1871/72 and 1880. I made a preliminary assumption that the father died in Sedalia, or at least in Pettis County, Missouri.

I have done some inquiry in Sedalia, looking for the father, or for birth records for the boys, but have had no luck. I tried to find city directories, but there were none for Sedalia during that time period.

I have recently started exploring Lutheran church records to see whether I can find them in those sources.  I have not received answers to my letters yet. I don't have anything in writing to verifiy that they were Lutheran, but perhaps they were.

If only I could find them in the 1870 census! But I have tried every trick I know, and also searched microfilm line by line through all of Sedalia city and postal area with no success.

Some time ago, someone suggested that Berry might be the English translation of the Swedish word for berry. It might have been Baer.  I had to leave the search at that time for some months and did not completely check that out.  Would the Swedish word for berry be a recognizeable  surname?

Thank you for your help.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.