NULL Skriv ut sidan - SV: Translation help

Anbytarforum

Titel: SV: Translation help
Skrivet av: KG Hammarlund skrivet 2020-02-16, 09:06
I'm beginning to suspect a mismatch between the block names in the hfl and the 1899 map. One must remember that the 1899 map is a plan, with some new blocks and streets laid out. So maybe there once was another block Timmermannen after all.
As Leif has pointed out, Bagaren is not to be found in the hfl AI/15a. But Amerika is there, in AI/15b p 191 onwards. And as the brochure explains, Amerika was the old name for the area.
I'm afraid that we don't have evidence for connecting Don's ancestors to the bakery or finding their home on the map. One would probably have to roam Umeå's municipal archive to solve this.

The bakery was definitely in the block ''Bagaren'. The shape of the buildings in the photos correspond exactly with how they're drawed on the map.

The Norrlands Dragoon regiment was indeed set up in 1893, but didn't move to their then new barracks and buildings (shown on the map) until 1901.

I've tried to polish the translation a bit:

The part of Umeå that was located immediately west of the city's grid map was called 'America' on the 1857 map. Here there was an unregulated settlement, but starting the 1870s, plots and streets were fenced out to the same size as in the adjacent western district [i.e. the district to the east of 'America']. The buildings in the block Bagaren, just west of the Norrland Dragoon Regiment, was added during the period 1888-1914. The block was named after the bakery, which together with the associated residential building occupied a large plot in the block's northwest corner.