NULL Skriv ut sidan - Torp

Anbytarforum

Titel: Torp
Skrivet av: Jeff Benson skrivet 2014-10-31, 03:04
Leif,

Here is Jonas Ostlund's emigration from Torp (found in the Emibas CD database). According to this, he had not yet adopted the family name, Ostlund, and was still known by his patronym. Also, there seems to be a small discrepancy in his birth date:

Post 1026242

Jönsson, Jonas
Son (unmarried man)

b. 9/19/1850 in Torp, Västernorrlands län (Medelpad)

Emigrated 7/7/1870
from Ö.Hångsta, Torp, Västernorrlands län (Medelpad)
to Chicago, Illinois, USA

Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 896

Emibas migration file ID: Torp Y 1870 015

Un-normalized versions:

Country of destination: USA

------------
This is probably Bertha's emigration (also from Emibas). She was named Brita Christina (Stina for short) in Sweden. She left with her father, Lars Ahnström, mother, Christina Olofsdotter Ahnström, and two younger sisters, Rakel (Rachel) and Erica. Because their emigration date is similar to Jonas', they likely traveled as a group:

Post 1026238

Larsdotter, Brita Stina
Dotter (unmarried woman)

b. 3/9/1848 in Torp, Västernorrlands län (Medelpad)

Emigrated 6/29/1870
from Ö.Hångsta, Torp, Västernorrlands län (Medelpad)
to Austin, Pennsylvania, USA

Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 833

Emibas migration file ID: Torp Y 1870 011

Un-normalized versions:

Country of destination: Nordamerika

----------
Existing parish records for Torp go back to well before 1700 and appear to be largely complete (maybe only one or two years missing). You should be able to fill in most of the gaps in your tree. It is always advisable to do your own research and not rely on that done by others - if only to confirm the data is correct.

At least three subscription-based services that have digitized these books and provide access via the internet. Far and away the best of them is Arkiv Digital (http://www.arkivdigital.net). If you already use Ancestry.com, a full international subscription gives access to the same records. The Emibas entries above actually provide an entry point to get you started. Both families may be found in Torp Household Examination book AI:13c: page 833 for Brita (Bertha) and family, page 896 for Jonas. Looking at the latter record, I see that Jonas' father was Jöns Östlund, born 30 May 1818.  Also, Jonas' birth date is somewhat obscured so his birth month might be '5' (May) or '3' (March) instead of '9' (September). An earlier record should resolve the discrepancy.

I don't think Torp cemetery will be much help. Graves of common folk were (and still are) reused and permanent grave markers, if they exist at all, are of relatively recent vintage.

I am not related (that I know of, anyway) but I do have ancestors from Torp so perhaps our lines cross somewhere back in time.

Cheers,
Jeff