NULL Skriv ut sidan - Fotografen Von Dieck vid 92 St. & Ontario Ave.

Anbytarforum

Titel: Fotografen Von Dieck vid 92 St. & Ontario Ave.
Skrivet av: Judy Olson Baouab skrivet 2005-05-18, 02:45
Hyde Park is on the southside of Chicago. It was a separate town for a while but became incorporated into Chicago in 1889. There still is a neighborhood in Chicago called Hyde Park.

I have a cd with street numbering changes, street name changes, etc. in Chicago. (I'm not quite sure how to interpret the information about street name changes.) I looked in the street name change section and found:

Ontario Ave., Brandon Ave. 3200 E.
Ontario St., Christiana Ave. 3800 to 4000 N.
Ontario St., W. Ohio St. 4600 to 6000 W.
Ontario St., 620 N 1 to 468 E. 1 to 4000 W. Named after the Lake. Indians of the Wisconsin nation word means beautiful. Centennial Pl, W. Cork St., Metropolitan Pl.

There is no explanation on this cd about what all of that means, but I wonder if the second street name might be the newer name.

Your source mentions that the photographer's location was Ontario AVENUE, so perhaps it is now called Brandon Avenue. A modern atlas of Chicago shows a Brandon Avenue. It looks as if it could have intersected with 92nd avenue, but the numbering system might have been different since the streets were renumbered in 1909. I think I read somewhere that the renumbering didn't affect streets on the southside of Chicago.

If you have a map of Chicago which also shows street names, you will find 92nd and Brandon Avenue is a bit east of a highway called Interstate 90, which is also called the Chicago Skyway since it rises above the ground.  

This might be the Hyde Park neighborhood, but I'm not completely sure. Hyde Park is described in Chicago and Cook County: A Guide to Research (by Loretto Dennis Szucs) as including all the territory bounded by 39th Street on the north, Lake Michigan and the Indiana state line on the east, State Street to the Calumet River, then the Calumet to the center line of 130th Street, then to the eastern line of the Illinois Central Railroad Company's right of way to the Calumet River, from Indiana Avenue to the Illinois Central Railroad bridge on the south. (I'm even confusing myself.)

At any rate, it seems as if your relatives might have lived somewhere on the southeast side of Chicago. Please provide more information about the individuals you are seeking.

Judy