NULL Skriv ut sidan - Military Service Interpretation

Anbytarforum

Titel: Military Service Interpretation
Skrivet av: Hans Högman skrivet 2002-08-21, 15:19
Hi Clyde,
The lst Lifg Rgt is short for the First Life Grenadier Regiment (Första Livgrenadjärregementet).

The regiment was first established in 1636 as the Östgöta Infantry Regiment. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in 1685.  
In 1791 the regiment was merged with the Östgöta Cavalry Regiment and the infantry part of the regiments received the name; The rotehåll division of the Life Grenadier Regiment (Livgrenadjärsregementets rotehållsdivision). The cavalry regiment then became a dismounted regiment.

In 1816 the new regiment was divided and reorganized into the two old regiments. The former infantry regiment received the name the First Life Grenadier Regiment (Första Livgrenadjärregementet, I4) and the former cavalry regiment received the name the Second Life Grenadier Regiment (Andra Livgrenadjärregementet, I5).

The regiment was allotted with 1200 rotar.
Hence, the Regiment had 1200 soldiers organized into 8 companies. All of the rotar were located within the province of Östergötland.  
Names of the Companies making up the Regiment in 1682: The Life Company, The Lieutenant Colonel's Company, The Major's Company, Ydre Company, Östanstångs Company, Kinds Company, Västanstångs Company and Vadstena Company.  

I don't have access to my Grill at the moment so I have to get back to you with information about which company the Vallerstad soldier's belonged to.

Discharge from the Army:
The soldier's contract didn't stipulate a certain service time. It was a permanent tenure until further notice. Normally the soldiers served for a very long time, up to 30 years or more.  
A soldier could only get a discharge (avsked) at a general muster (generalmönstring). This could be on the soldier's request or be discharged by the army. The reason for discharge could be old age, war injury or sickness.
By the request of a soldier, the Colonel of the regiment could discharge the soldier between general musters if the rote farmer supported the proposal. This was called a provisional discharge and the discharge to be approved at the next general muster.

In order for a soldier to get a discharge on his own request he had to have a valid reason like old age, injury, sickness etc. Therefor he needed a medical certificate from the regimental surgeon in order to make the request.  

However is was no guarantee that the request was granted. If the army thought the soldier could do another couple of years in service they could reject the request for a discharge.

At time of war it was very difficult to get a request for discharged approved. Valid reasons then could be weakness of old age or severe injury/sickness.

A soldier could also be discharged if he had committed a crime like theft, crime of violence etc. The soldier was then discharged in dishonor and the general muster would the have the comment kasserades or cassation.

The majority of the regiments in Sweden at this time were organized in a system called the Allotment System (Indelningsverket). In order to understand how this worked you can have a go at this page: http://www.algonet.se/~hogman/slsoldat_eng.htm
And to understand the difference between the allotted regiments and the enlisted regiments you can take a look at this page: http://www.algonet.se/~hogman/allotted%20-%20enlisted.htm
I hope those pages will answer your question: What would his duties have been living with his family?  

Hans Högman