NULL Skriv ut sidan - Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 2005-04-25

Anbytarforum

Titel: Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 2005-04-25
Skrivet av: Jan Ek (Janek) skrivet 2005-03-26, 10:36
Roy,

I doubt that anyone here has time and capacity to help you with a full ancestral research, on a voluntary basis. To follow your ancestral lines as far as the church records can provide with records is a very big job. For every new generation you get at least four new lines to follow, and many siblings, second marriages and more related information. I work on my own family tree as a hobby, and after almost three years I have much left to do.  

On the other hand, if you are doing this yourself I think there are many on this forum who are more than willing to help out on certain tricky spots. Then posting here is absolutely proper. So you are welcome here, don't get me wrong. But if a full tree of ancestors is what you are looking for, and don't want to take this rather big project on yourself, maybe hiring a professional genealogist here in Sweden is the answer?

But just to give you a taste of what's possible to find, a took an hour to see if I could found something for you in the portion of church records now being made available on the internet as a subscription service (Genline.com). On your gggf Johan Ludvig I hit the wall on my first attempt in Lidköping and (Norra) Härene parishes. Since parish administrative organization varies through the years I might not have looked the right place. Some of the books I wanted to look in weren't available either.

Not everything is going to be had at Genline ever, they publish only the original Mormon films, many books covering later years must be looked up at mikrofiche cards I would have to order. Throughout the US you could expect to find all records collected in one place, at the Mormon Family Centers for onsite research. But Genline also have many subscribers in the US, and also an excellent guidebook just published in English. In case you are looking for a new hobby  

Since I didn't found Johan Ludvig right away, I took a quick look at Gustava Ulrika instead. And although Genline isn't complete in that part of Sweden yet, I did found her birth record, parents, and two siblings. I have sent you the two records as copied images, the birth record and a piece of a household examination roll.

Gustava Ulrika was indeed born as you already know 2 January 1836. Her parents were Kakelugnsmakaren P. G. Hedbäck and his wife Catharina Olsdotter. His profession is a highly skilled one; putting up the intricate masonry ovens of bricks and outside porcelain tiles (Kakelugn - tile oven), a Swedish invention warming most city dwellings in the 19th century. Some pictures that explain better could be found here.

When Gustava is born the family lives in a part of Hedemora town called Gussarvet (older spelling Gussarfvet). From the household examination roll for the period 1846-47 (the series not yet complete for all years on Genline) could be extracted: P. G. Hedbäck is born 1 June 1807 in Hedemora, Catharina, or Caisa as she is called here, is born 1797, no date here. Can't make the place out though, Dalarna is not my geographical area of research, looks like Lassibo to me?

Gustava has two older brothers at this time; Anders Johan b. 16 Jan 1829, and Carl Gustav b. 11 Nov 1831, both in the same location as their mother's birthplace. So then you know the family moved to Hedemora Gussarvet after 1831 but before 1836.

The source here is Hedemora AI:22A, p 53 (GID 2185.36.19200) in case someone else wants to fill in my attempts.

Hedemora isn't complete yet online on birth records either, so I can't give you the fathers first names instead of the initials PG, Per Gustav is a good guess, but nothing more. As a general rule every piece of information must be checked for consistency in different records. Some priests were notorious for bad record keeping. Others have an almost illegible hand.

Hope I gave you an idea of the work involved to do this, and the methodology. And an appetizer. It is great fun, real detective work ...