NULL Skriv ut sidan - Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 20 maj, 2012

Anbytarforum

Titel: Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 20 maj, 2012
Skrivet av: Barry Hill skrivet 2012-05-20, 23:16
Carl & Harriet thanks for the responses.  I was just short of 6 yrs old when my G-Grandmother Selma died.  My living sister is 6 years older than me so has a better memory of Selma and we are both of the impression that she could answer questions in English but even then would use some Swedish words and was not prone to insert herself into English conversations.  I am not sure she ever learned to read English.  That was the status as we saw it in the 1950's.  I have no clue how she communicated with the person filling out the form in 1891 unless there was an interpreter there. So I have to look at some of that information as suspect.  I think that is why a record in the 40's shows her birth as Yatenberg, Slota.  I think she spoke and someone without a clue wrote what they thought was close to what she said.  In the case of her marriage license, maybe she even furnished her middle name because she misunderstood the question. Also Carl's explanation is one I had not thought of. Her parent's estate record is being ordered.

Carl, Even though the copyright is 2004 Your Swedish Roots does mention ArkivDigital and talks quite a bit about Genline.  I have made it to page 60.  I want to do a quick read then go back and use it for reference. When Cradled in Sweden comes I will probably just give it a glance over for reference value for now.

Question: Do any of the church records or police emigration records contain actual signatures?  I look at U.S. records with names written in cursive writing and I think some may be signatures because they seem to be in different writing than the rest of the document.  It might at least be interesting to compare signatures.,

Others would likely know better than me, but I think it is quite a stretch to say 2 Selma Elizabeth's both with the same birth date and both with a father named Adam Jonsson emigrated within weeks of each other to central Pennsylvania which was not even a big center of Swedish immigrants. It is also supported by the fact that no other Selma Elizabeth is found on lists during that time.  Unless some unlikely, significant piece of documentation shows up, I think it is clear.  

I will be mailing 2 letters to two 3rd cousins tomorrow   Wish me luck that they will be interested enough to respond.