NULL Skriv ut sidan - Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 2005-05-25

Anbytarforum

Titel: Äldre inlägg (arkiv) till 2005-05-25
Skrivet av: Robert George skrivet 2005-01-31, 05:06
Thank you for your responses.  
I will ask my Mother (Irma) if she recalls her Mother's birthday.  The only documentation I have is the US Census from January 1920 which lists Alma's age as 33 when the census was taken and that Alma arrived in the United States in 1902.  {Note, Irma's age was incorrectly listed on the 1920 census, she had turned 7 on 12/27/1919 but the census record 3 weeks later lists her age as 6; so Alma's age may also be wrong.  Karl's age on the census is correct at 40.  He died from pneumonia 4 months later.}  
From the 1920 census record, I then found an Ellis Island record for an Alma Johanson who arrived in the US on August 31, 1902.  Seems like a match but cannot be sure.  That's where the Södra Sandsjö information came from.  It may not be the correct Alma Johanson; or she may have left home and been living elsewhere before coming to Brooklyn, New York.
My Mother remembers Alma had an older half-sister named Emily and a younger sister named Ingrid plus a younger brother named Axel (spelling?).  So the information in the prior posting seems like a match.  Up until 3 months ago, my Mother had always mentioned her stay in Sweden in 1920-1921 was near Örebro; 3 months ago, she mentioned Filipstad/Filstra (?) for the first time.  She was only 7 when she went to Sweden, 85 years ago.  Irma seems to recall taking an ocean liner to reach Stockholm, then a smaller ship for a day or two, then a train; another 85-year old memory that may be not be accurate.  
Alma did not meet her future husband Karl until after 1910, in Brooklyn, New York.  I have information that indicates Karl Fridolf Hoglund was born in Strägnäs on April 8, 1879, son of Lars Peter Hoglund (who died in Sweden in 1887) and Johanna Mathilda Andersson (b Aug 16, 1855 in Strängnäs; Johanna emmigrated to Boston, Mass along with her other two children John Sigfried Hoglund and Frieda Hoglund; Johanna Mathilda died March 14, 1946 in West Newton, Mass.)  
Karl Hoglund arrived alone in Boston on June 22, 1901.  I have been told he had left Strängnäs and been living in Stockholm.  Living in Boston, he was 25 on July 2, 1904 when he submitted his intent to become a US citizen.  Later, he became a naturalized US Citizen, on Sept 25, 1906.
For now, I believe Alma Matilda was born in 1886, the daughter of Jan August Johannesson and Maria Matilda Jansdotter.  
If I get more specific information, I will let you know.
Thank you for your responses.