NULL Skriv ut sidan - Svensson, Carl b1840 Sweden. Emigr 1861

Anbytarforum

Titel: Svensson, Carl b1840 Sweden. Emigr 1861
Skrivet av: Brad Gallen skrivet 2010-05-07, 01:13
Hej allihopa,

I know there are probably slim chances of anyone being able to help me based on my lack of specific information, but I thought I'd ask anyway, just in case  

I'm looking for info about my great-great-great grandfather Carl Svensson. He was born in 1840 and emigrated to New Zealand in 1861, but I don't know where he was born or which port he left from, and his arrival in New Zealand doesn't seem to be on any official records, as I think he may not have come through the usual immigration channels. The family story says that he was actually employed in 'the navy', so I don't know if that was any military navy or a merchant navy. I've also wondered about how many ships would have actually travelled from Sweden to New Zealand.. it can't be that many, can it?  

He is mentioned in 'Svenskarna i Nya Zeeland' by Sten Aminoff, with his occupation given as Farmer. I know that he was a farmer in New Zealand, but do not know if he was one while in Sweden.

The research I have done so far says his father's name was Johan, and his mother's name was Anna or Hannah (I'm not sure about Swedish spelling of Hannah, if it's the same or not!) Unfortunately I do not have any information on them or their marriage.  

Apparently he also had at least one brother, who's name is recorded as James, so again I guess this may have been something different in Sweden. James seems to have emigrated to the USA.  

That's about all the information I have that could be useful. When Carl arrived in New Zealand he changed his name to Charles Swanson, married and had several children (7 I think).  

So, yeah, it's a long shot, hopefully someone here might be able to add a little bit of information to my research  

Tack så mycket!

Brad